The medieval architectural complex in Biertan, the former see of the Saxon bishops, consists of the church and the fortification belt, and is located in the center of the settlement, on a hill. The hall-type church, built between 1490 and 1520 in late Gothic style, occupies the central part of the complex and is the last church in Transylvania built in this style.
Monumental construction, with large dimensions, the church comprises three halls of equal heights. The surrounding fortifications are considered the strongest in Transylvania, for a peasant fortress. It includes three rows of walls, 6 towers and 3 bastions built in different phases since the XVth century. At the top there is a defense corridor, the clock and the bells. The tower "mausoleum" is located on the northeastern side and includes on the ground floor a mausoleum that houses since 1913 the tombs of prelates of this church.